walking safari in Nairobi, Laikipia and Masai Mara National Park
Walking Safari in Nairobi and Masai Mara,Explore the Laikipia Plateau on foot or by camel with a local Samburu guide
A taste of what to expect…
- Upon your arrival at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, you will be met by a member of our global hotels and safaris and transferred by road to The Emakoko, in Nairobi National Park.
- Enjoy your evening at leisure
Laikipia, Global Hotels &safaris Walking tour
- From Wilson Airport take a scheduled flight to Nanyuki Airport. On arrival, you will be met by your Samburu team Walking Safari.You will be taken to the starting point of your four days walking safari through the Laikipia and Samburu District in North central Kenya
- A Walking Safari is the ideal means by which to travel through Kenya. Escape the constraints of a vehicle and lose yourself in Kenya’s stunning wilds. Learn the finer details of the bush and experience the traditional lore of your local Samburu guide
- Swim in the cool waters of Africa’s rivers and spend warm nights beneath unbelievably starry skies
- Climb to the top of rocky outcrops to admire vast views of endless open spaces and feel your sense reawaken as your nostrils fill with the scent of Africa’s dust
- An ancient and rugged wilderness, Samburu is intersected by the Ewaso Ng’iro River, which flows through the heart of the reserve, creating an oasis of palm tree groves and thick forests. This is the land made famous by conservationists George and Joy Adamson, who raised Elsa the lioness here, as documented in the book and movie Born Free. Hike along the banks of the river until the dusk sets and then enjoy an al fresco dinner around a blazing campfire before settling into your sleeping bag for the night.
- Fall asleep gazing onto a kaleidoscope of constellations in the velvety dark sky
- Immerse yourself in one of the Samburu tribe’s most significant traditions. Fall in step with the Samburu warriors as they lead their cattle to a dry river bed in the early morning. With water a precious resource in this dry and desolate land, the warriors dedicate the day to digging deep wells for drinking water for their livestock. Watch as the tall warriors strip naked and begin to sing as they dig. Deep and resonant, the melody creates a hypnotic rhythm that the tribe works to as one. Each warrior’s herd will recognise and respond to their master’s voice, using it to locate their particular well.
Masai Mara National Reserve
- After breakfast, you will be driven to the local airstrip for your scheduled flight to Masai Mara. On arrival, you will be met by a representative from &Beyond Kichwa Tembo Tented Camp and transferred to the lodge
- Explore the wilderness on foot and get a different perspective on every aspect of the African river, from its smallest insects and plants to the immense river creatures after which the trail is named. Set off from your lodge in the company of an experienced Maasai naturalists, who can predict the behaviour of any wildlife that you meet, interpret ever birdcall and introduce you to the natural uses of the a multitude of plants. The trail dissects a variety of landscapes, from plains to riverine forest, open grasslands and scrubby bush. The hike takes from one to three hours.
- Game drives in the Masai Mara are unforgettable due to the abundance of wildlife and the spectacular landscapes. With gently rolling hills and wide open plains, this is the quintessential African safari experience. Travellers can expect to encounter large numbers of animals year round, with big herds of elephant, buffalo and other plains game. It is also common to see predator interaction.
Day 7: Departure
Say fond farewells and take your flight to Nairobi where you will connect to your onward international flight
Walking safari can be customized as per customers Request